Saturday, June 29, 2013

Recarbed!

The recarbonation of the hefeweisen went well.  Although for scientific purposes I should have cracked all fifteen beers and measured them, my goal is to maximize my enjoyment of the beers--which meant one of each of the samples.

I did, however, bow to the dictates of science and try to collect some objective data.  My methodology was to take one of each beer, crack them, and pour them aggressively into a 22 oz. wheat beer glass, aiming for maximum head.

Results are as follows:

  • 1/8 tsp priming sugar: 1/2" head
  • 1/4 tsp priming sugar: 1 1/2" head
  • 1/2 tsp priming sugar: 3" head (couldn't pour it all in right away)
Realistically, a 1 1/2" head is probably about what I'm aiming for, especially since they won't generally be served in a wheat beer glass.  However,  I was pouring very aggressively, and I felt that under normal conditions (and will cold-conditioned bottles) the 1/2 tsp would probably suit best.

Tomorrow morning, I plan to re-prime the rest of the hefes with 1/2 tsp priming sugar.  Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment